The Chaim Roifman Scholar Award for Senior Investigators
Supported by Baxter, CSL Behring, Grifols, Octapharma and the CI Society
Call for Research Proposals
The Canadian Immunodeficiency Society (CI Society) each fall annually requests proposals focused on research in primary immune deficiency (PI).
CI Society research objectives should address one or more of the unique needs of patients with primary immunodeficiency:
- Study the clinical, cellular and molecular characteristics of genetically determined immunodeficiency diseases
- Discover improved diagnostic tools for PI
- Advance novel therapeutic approaches for PI
- Advance education of patients and medical professionals
Eligibility and requirements
Independent investigators from the academic sectors are encouraged to submit their applications.
- Eligible investigators must have a faculty appointment.
- Preference will be given to Canadian based researchers or collaborators of Canadian researchers.
- Principal Investigator must directly supervise the research project.
- Applications must be submitted by fiscally responsible organizational entities in the name of the Principal Investigator. Each application must include appropriate endorsement of an official who is responsible for the administration of awarded funds.
Value of Award
The award will pay research expenses up to $25,000.
Duration of Grant Support
The duration of support will be for one to two years.
Award Recipient shall acknowledge the support by using the full name of the award in any publication or presentation made during or resulting from the tenure of the award. The CI Society shall similarly be informed of submission of papers for publication which result from the term of this award. The Award Recipient is required to present the research at a CI Society sponsored event.
Termination of the Award
The Award Recipient, the Institution and/or the CI Society may terminate the Award at any time for good and sufficient reason.
- Applicants will submit a short 1 page Letter of Intent. If approved by the review committee, the applicant will be asked to submit a full application.
- Full applications are limited to 3 pages of text.
Research Review Criteria
Full applications will be scored similar to the CIHR system based on:
- Responsiveness to the CI Society objectives
- Scientific merit including significance, importance, clinical relevance, innovation and feasibility
- Leadership, expertise, experience, and commitment of the investigator to the field of PI
- Adequacy of the research environment including laboratories and/or clinical populations
- Contribution to the development of PI research in Canada
If a full application is not approved, resubmission is permitted.
Further information on the CI Society research grant application process is available by contacting:
PO Box 38540
3299 Bayview Ave.
Toronto, ON M2K 2Y5
T: (416) 964-3434
F: (416) 964-6594
How to Apply
There are two steps in applying for this grant:
(B) Application package: download pdf
The full application package is due no later than Friday November 29, 2013. This package includes the application, a 3 page proposal plus references and figures, detailed budget and CV. All applications should be submitted digitally to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us by phone or email. We will be happy to assist you.